Mar 9, 2012

Top 3 movies that impacted my life

Autumn Sonata (Höstsonaten) (1978) by doublexuan
#3 Autumn Sonata (Höstsonaten) (1978)
I am a film junkie. I have watched plenty of movies that range from brilliant to mediocre to downright shameful. But there are only a small handful of movies that have carved such a deep impression in my memory that I think of frequently and re-watch them over and over again for years to come. Such a movie is “Autumn Sonata”. What can one expect when it is directed by Ingmar Bergman- one of the finest directors of our time, working alongside with Liv Ullmann (my favorite actress of all time) and Ingrid Bergman?

The truth is, I expected it to be good, but not overwhelmingly so. For one, I am not drawn to movies that explore family relationships. In this case, Ingrid Bergman is a neglectful mother who visits her daughter for the first time after 7 years. 90% of the movie is set in an idyllic house surrounded by nature and starts off unassumingly, although at some point it is apparent that the masquerade of delightful reunion is about to be blown off by secret resentment.

There are brilliant actresses, and then there are Liv Ullmann and Ingrid Bergman, who are indeed a class of their own. These 2 actresses are able to put the entire Hollywood into shame. It is perfection and so much more. “Autumn Sonata” is highly recommended for anyone who appreciates acting at its highest form.
Please stay tuned for the other 2 movies that impacted my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment